August 2 – District Registration & Back to School Kickoff
August 10 – 9th Grade & New Student Orientation (12-3 pm)
August 15 & 16 – Teacher Institute Day
August 17 – First Day of School (1/2 day for students) 7:50-11:15 am
August 22 – Picture Day
August 25 – Meet the Teacher Night (6-7:30 pm)
September 5 – Labor Day (No School)
September 7 – Picture Retake Day
September 20 – School Improvement Day (students attend 7:50-11:15 am)
RHS Homecoming Court Speeches 2022
Streaming Live on YouTube at 8:00am on Monday, September 19th, 2022.
Dear RHS Families,
Welcome Back! Wednesday, August 17, 2022 kicks off the 2022-23 school year! This will be a half day (7:50 – 11:15 a.m.) for students. Students should report to the small gym upon arriving on campus to receive their schedule. Students will visit each class for 25 minutes to meet their teachers and receive important information regarding each class. Early Bird classes will not meet today.
August 18, 2022 (7:50 a.m. – 2:40 p.m.)
Teachers will be reviewing school-wide expectations, necessary to ensure a positive and safe school year! Please review the [linked] presentation with your high school child in effort to partner with us (Thank You). Early Bird classes will meet today. IMPORTANT LINKS:
- RHS Universal Expectations for 2022-23
- Google Form: Parent Handbook (Electronic) Acknowledgement Form
August 19, 2022 (School Spirit Day)
Happy Friday! Students & staff are encouraged to wear their Shell Spirit Gear!
Eligible Seniors and Juniors will receive their parking permit today. Applications and Priority Parking Numbers were distributed on Thursday. Parking Permits are free and earned based on a student’s discipline, attendance, and their class rank.
Join us at the Charles Raich Field for the Fall Sports Season Kick-Off and Blue/ Gold Football Game beginning at 6:00 p.m.
NEW This School Year:
Wednesdays – Shell Advisory Period
All students have been assigned an Advisory Class Period this school year. Advisory will meet every Wednesday from 1:30 – 2:40 p.m.
- The first Wednesday of each month is dedicated to an SEL lesson focused on strengthening the school’s culture and climate initiatives (school discipline, attendance, or mandated topic).
- All other Wednesdays are focused on providing academic help to students. Students who earn a grade of F, D or C (and are identified as not being “proficient” on any tier II and/or tier III assessment) will be allowed to and is encouraged to complete a ReDo/Retake of that assessment.
- Students on Social Probation for discipline and/or attendance will also report to their advisory and then to our school’s support team for assistance.
Students who are not on social probation, and not in need of completing a ReDo/Retake, will be allowed to leave early at 1:30 p.m. on our academic Wednesdays.
High School Grading Scale:
|Letter Grade||Low Percentage||High Percentage||Letter Grade||Low Percentage||High Percentage|
Weighted Grading by Category (Same for ALL Classes)
|Category 1: 10%||Independent daily work; homework; in-class, formative practice, extra-credit, graded group work|
|Category 2: 30%||In-class, formative/mini-summative assessments; quizzes|
|Category 3: 60%||Summative assessments, projects, or portfolios|
Students may arrange for redos/retakes for ANY/ALL category #2 and #3 work.
Cell Phone Expectations
- Cell phone use is not allowed during the class periods.
- Cell phones must be silenced and docked upon entering each classroom.
- Students are allowed to use their cell phones before school, during the passing periods, at lunch, and after school.
- Cell phone use/possession during class is a distraction (constant need to check notifications, texts, social media, etc.) to one’s learning and for teachers to effectively provide effective instruction.
Our data shows most student conflicts are connected to negative social media interaction and messaging. In addition, we have observed prohibited student conduct such as taking unauthorized video and photos during instructional time.
The PURPOSE & GOALS of limited cell phone use and limited access during the school day:
- Improve our discipline data for cell phone violations
- Reduce student conflicts
- Improve the learning environment
Thank you for your support and partnership. Let’s make the 2022-23 school year the best year yet! #GoShells
9th Grade & New Student Orientation – Springboard to Success
Dear Incoming 9th Grade Parents,
I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome the Class of 2026 to Roxana High School! We will be having a 9th Grade & New Student Orientation in order to prepare our incoming students for high school life. Please mark your calendar and encourage your child(ren) to attend:
RHS Springboard to Success
9th Grade Orientation Class of 2026
(And All New Students)
Wednesday, August 10, 2022
12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
All students should report to the small gym for registration between 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in order for us to begin promptly in the large gym at 12:00 p.m. On August 10, students will be able to:
- Meet teachers and upperclassmen
- Learn about the different clubs and school organizations that they can participate in
- Receive tips and advice from upperclassmen
- Tour the campus during a selfie scavenger hunt
- Receive information on the first few days of school and expectations for the upcoming year
- Walk through their schedule for the upcoming school year
Please confirm your child’s attendance for orientation by completing the linked Reservation Form by 3:00 p.m. Thursday, August 4th or by calling and providing the requested information at (618) 251-7020.
I’m excited to meet our incoming students at this year’s orientation!
Yours in Education,
Jason Dandurand, Ed. S.
Roxana High School
PARENTS: We will also be hosting a meeting the evening of August 10 for all 9th Grade Parents:
What? 9th Grade & New Student Parent Meeting
Who? All 9th Grade & New Student Parents
Where? RHS – Auditorium
When? August 10 at 6:00 p.m.
Why? To welcome all parents of incoming students to RHS & provide useful information on the upcoming year!
81st Commencement Ceremony of Roxana HS – Class of 2022
Click here to add your own text