Dear Roxana High School Parents,
I hope this letter finds you well, enjoying your summer. We are looking forward to our students return as final preparations are made for the start of the 2020-2021 school year at RHS. I want to thank everyone for going through our required registration process online this summer. Your time and commitment are greatly appreciated. If you have not yet registered your child for the upcoming year, the online registration window has been re-opened through July. Please access the following link to register your child(ren): https://www.roxanaschools.org/parents/online-student-registration-information/
If needed, there will be an in-person option for Registration on Tuesday, August 4, 2020 in the High School Main Office from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
As we look to reopen our school doors for the upcoming school year, I understand many of you may be experiencing a wide array of emotions related to this new school year. Please know that the decisions and procedures have been established with the well-being of our students and teachers at the forefront.
While we are in Phase 4 of the Illinois Department of Public Health’s plan, Roxana Senior High School will reopen (as required by the State of Illinois and the Illinois State Board of Education) with the following procedures in place:
- RHS will reopen with a “Hybrid” / Blended Schedule consisting of both in-person and remote learning.
- Families have the option to choose remote learning only. Families opting for remote learning only must commit for the quarter and may not opt back and forth between in-person and remote. The deadline for Remote Learning Only Registration is Friday, July 31, 2020. There will be a “Remote Learning Only” Distribution Day(s) the week of August 10 to distribute Chromebooks and other required school supplies.
- The Hybrid/Blended Schedule will consist of:
- Students with last names A-L attending in-person on Monday and Thursday and remote (from home) on Tuesday and Friday. (These days were chosen to reduce the number of days students go without in-person instruction)
- Students with last names M-Z attending remote (from home) on Monday and Thursday and in-person on Tuesday and Friday. (These days were again chosen to reduce the number of days students go without in-person instruction)
- Wednesday will be a Remote Learning Day for all students. This will allow our custodians and maintenance team an opportunity to thoroughly clean and disinfect the school mid-week in addition to the daily cleaning and disinfecting that will take place.
- Families (households) with different last names may attend on the same day. Contact the main office at 254-7550 to make arrangements.
- Students with IEPs and 504 Plans may attend in-person every day to ensure accommodations are met.
- Seniors may opt to only take courses required for high school graduation. Students are encouraged to meet with their guidance counselor to discuss potential impacts of this option (ie., dual credit, class rank, etc.)
- This Hybrid/Blended Schedule greatly minimizes our group size on campus and reduces class sizes inside classrooms. Reducing the number of students on campus keeps households together, reduces congestion on campus, controls movement, and enhances our ability to social distance throughout the school day.
- The school day will begin each day at 7:50 a.m. and end at 1:00 p.m. Classes will be 40 minutes in duration. On-campus and remote/on-line students will follow the same schedule. All students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. and will have the opportunity to receive a Grab-N-Go lunch from the high school Commons prior to leaving.
- Please refer to the following schedule for further details about your child’s school day:
Remote Login Time
|Current Plan for Fall 2020
In-person and options for Remote Learning
|If The State Requires Remote Learning Only
(ALL STUDENTS ONLINE ONLY)
(Default plan in the event of a resurgence of virus)
||40 minute class period of synchronous instruction/learning.
Students who are in-person and students who are home learning remotely at the same time.
Remote (from home) students are to login (via Google Meet) at the start of each class. Attendance will be taken. Video/verbal authentication will be required for attendance.
Instruction may be recorded for playback for those who are remote.
|40 minute class periods divided for both synchronous and asynchronous instruction/learning.
(20 minutes of direct instruction of the lesson)
(20 minutes for office hours to assist students needing academic help)
Synchronous: All students are to login (via Google Meet) at the start of each class. Attendance will be taken. Video/verbal authentication will be required for attendance.
Asynchronous: Lessons to be recorded for those students needing to view later if their schedule does not allow them to view live.
|1:00 – 1:30
||Staff (Duty Free) Lunch
Grab-N-Go Option for Students
(dismissal for students)
|Staff (Duty Free) Lunch
|1:30 – 3:20
||Remote Learning Office Hours:
Tutoring and Academic Support
PD Sessions & Meetings for Faculty
|Remote Learning Office Hours:
Time dedicated for Q & A Segment &/or Student-Teacher Conferences
Please visit the high school webpage or click on the link to review this year’s RHS Remote Learning Plan.
For questions & information on specific departments, contact our main office at 254-7550.
Below is a summary of upcoming events.
More detailed information will be provided separately for each event.
|Tuesday, August 4, 2020
High School Main Office
8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
|Thursday, August 13, 2020
||Freshmen & New Student Orientation
An online presentation will be sent to each parent and available for viewing on our high school webpage and social media outlets.
Freshmen & New Student families will be given directions to make an appointment to come to the high school campus to receive their schedules and tour the campus during the day between 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
|Week of August 10, 2020
||Remote Learning ONLY Distribution
Those who registered for Remote Only will be able to pick up their Chromebook this week.
|Friday, August 21, 2020
||First Day of School for Students Last Names M-Z
7:50 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
|Monday, August 24, 2020
||First Day of School for Students Last Names A-L
7:50 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
At this time, we are still waiting on an update from the IHSA and ISBE regarding the status of interscholastic athletics. Our athletic department will communicate with our student-athletes and families as decisions and updates are provided.
In closing, please understand this plan for reopening is fluid and subject to change at any given time based on State and ISBE requirements. As always, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding the start of the upcoming school year. Deep breath. We got this. #ShellPride #RoxanaStrong
Yours in Education,
Jason P. Dandurand
Jason Dandurand, Ed. S.
Principal of Roxana High School