Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
RJHS SEL Standards:
Goal 1: Develop self-awareness and self-management skills to achieve school and life success.
- Identify and Manage One’s emotions and behavior.
- Recognize personal qualities and external supports.
- Demonstrate skills related to achieving personal and academic goals.
Goal 2: Use social-awareness and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive relationships.
- Recognize the feelings and perspectives of others.
- Recognize individual and group similarities and differences.
- Use communication and social skills to interact effectively with others.
- Demonstrate an ability to prevent, manage, and resolve interpersonal conflicts in constructive ways.
Goal 3: Demonstrate decision-making skills and responsible behaviors in personal, school, and community contexts.
- Consider ethical, safety, and societal factors in making decisions.
- Apply decision-making skills to deal responsibly with daily academic and social situations.
- Contribute to the well-being of one’s school and community.